Monday, November 12, 2007

KILBURNFLYER

A very busy few days. The Pistols were far better than I had feared they might be - they are clearly a bit of a parody and doing it simply for the money but what's wrong with that. I think people can take music a bit too seriously sometimes with a few overheard comments of "not what they were" "this not what they stood for" - they stood for nothing and as a band they were as tight as two coats of paint and simply reeled off never mind .... with stepping stone thrown in for good measure. Not a classic but a very enjoyable show.

The weekender at Minehead was just such great fun. Got about 6 hopurs sleep over 2 days. Met lots of interesting people, had many pissed conversations and did not see any evidence of any trouble whatsoever. The whole thing was well organised and most bands gave it their all. A few highlights for me were Twisted Sister who were billed as headliners and didn't disappoint - last time I saw them was at the Marquee when I was about 15. Zodiac Mindwarp were great - I may have a blindspot here as when I suggested this to Dave Ling in one of my pissed conversations he said they did ok for a band who only have one song - bit of a shame he has that view as I have always loved them and think they havbbe a good number of good songs. Saxon were very good. I loved UFO - me and a mate spent the whole gig bouncing around down the front in stupid shaped cheap sunglasses (I looked like Elton John's fat brother) screaming out the lyrics. Everyone else I spoke to thought they were a bit crap because they were clearly somewhat pissed - Phil Mogg could barely stand but still sung beautifully if bizarrely he could barely speak. Tesla and Diamond Head were very professional even though they had to contend with graveyard slots. Missed Turismas (sic) and Raven which was a bit irritating cos I was dealing with a work issue and there was a unanimous view that they were both very good. The last band on were Beyond the Grave who I had never heard of but was very impressed by - think they will become well known shortly as they have a good sound. All in all a fantastic event.

Heaven and Hell rounded off the weekend nicely at the Brighton Centre - very crisp, very professional but only managed an hour and a half.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home