Monday, June 15, 2009

KILBURNFLYER

I regret that I am one of the many Anvil fans who deserted them when they needed us the most. The renewed interest in them following their film exploits (still not seen it) made me regret that I have only seen them a handful of times in the last 20 years or so. Tonight (Thur 11 Jun) they were as good as I always remember them - tight, energetic and they clearly enjoy playing. A mix of regret and joy. Sorry lads! We let you down - we won't do it again.

Sunday at Download was a great day out. Def Leppard were superb - crisp, tight and great song selection. LAst time I saw them here was 23 years ago - a comeback gig following the horrific injury to their drummer - was mentioned to an emotional crowd. Any band that can get me to sing out loud "make love like a man" has got to be good.

Whitsnake on the other hand were not good. In fact they were very poor bordering on downright awfu - the worst show I have ever seen from them. Sound was dreadful and Coverdale's voice was generally bad when he tried to over extend his range. To add to the controversy there was clearly a backing track being used on his vocal for a couple of songs - I know he has denied this previously but I saw it with my own eyes yesterday. Song selection was also rubbish - Whitesnake have got some fantastic songs Lovehunter, walking in the shadow of the blues, Come on, Sweet talker and can draw on Purple classics such as Burn and Mistreated - none of them got a look in - very disappointing.

ZZ Top - absolutely top notch. So many great songs crammed into a very strong set.

Journey - not really my thing but very professional and greatly enjoyable.

Shinedown - fucking great but sadly I had to cut short to go see ZZ Top. Will get to see them many times in the future I hope but ZZ could call it a day at any time so didn't want to miss them.

Volbeat - a new discovery for me. Never heard of them before - they were hugely enjoyable and hope to download some of their stuff in the next day or so.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home