Monday, June 29, 2009

KILBURNFLYER

Three gigs in three days - two absolute belters and one (could do better)

UFO - Shepherds Bush Empire were excellent. Even the new songs - not a fan of the new album - sounded good and the band were tight and seemed to be enjoying it. I did miss Pete Way - he is such a great performer - but the replacement was very good. AM getting used to the guitarist but I really wish Mogg and Schenker would make up - Mogg has never found a guitarist as good and Schenker has never found such a good singer. Also between them they actually write better songs than they do apart. Fucking idiots !! Here’s the set-list - again blagged from the Ling diary: ‘Saving Me’, ‘When Daylight Goes To Town’, ‘Mother Mary’, ‘I’m A Loser’, ‘This kids’, ‘Cherry’, ‘Helldriver’, ‘Baby Blue’, ‘Ain’t No Baby’, ‘Only You Can Rock Me’, ‘Love To Love’, ‘Lights Out’, ‘Too Hot To Handle’ and ‘Rock Bottom’, with encores of ‘Doctor Doctor’ and ‘Shoot Shoot’.

Chickenfoot - also at Shepherds Bush Empire were magnificent. It is really strange to see four legendary figures from the rock world on such a small stage and playing together in a band that is as tight as two coats of paint. Again not a huge fan of the album but live the material takes on a completely different dimension. Best version of Highway Star I have ever seen performed live and that includes the Purple reunion at Knebworth back in the day.

AC/DC - I have been a massive fan since I was about 12 and seen them more times than I can remember but sadly I was a bit disappointed by this gig. They were as good as they were at the O2 - virtually the same set with Dog Eat Dog thrown in as an extra - but this was Wembley Fucking Stadium for fucks sake so they should have pulled out all the stops and played a better and longer set. This was AC/DC's equivalent of Download or Sonisphere and they should have had the set to match the venue. Frankly I expected more - I do not expect Metallica to do the same set as they did at the O2 when I see them at Knebworth in August and I doubt I will come away from that one with a tinge of disappointment.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home